HELPFUL MOVING TIPS
4.2 out of 5
20,109 surveysFind out more >
Helpful Moving Tips!
- Make an inventory of your household goods.
- Take Video or Photographs of your items before you start packing..
- Obtain and fill out post office change of address cards.
- Contact all utilities for service disconnection
- Arrange for special transportation of pets and plants if necessary.
- Make any travel plans necessary for your move
- Safely dispose or give away all flammable items.
- Transfer your back accounts.
- Settle any bills with local business.
- Drain power equipment of oil and gas.
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer, propping doors open.
- Arrange for carpet and drapery cleaning
- Disconnect prepare major appliances for moving.
- Get packing supplies: boxes, packing paper, tape,markers
- Start packing items you don't use often (SEE PACKING TIPS)
- Clean out all closets and drawers
- Let movers pack your belongings (unless it's a do it yourself move).
- Set aside anything that will travel in your car so that it will not be loaded in the truck.
- Pack a box of items that will be needed first at the new house.
- Confirm arrival time of your moving van.
Things to think about as you prepare for your move!
- Have your driveway clean and clear of vehicles, toys or other debris.
- All walkways or halls should be clear to be able to move boxes or furniture out to the truck.
- Be on hand at delivery and have a plan for placement of your boxes and furniture.
- Drain all gasoline-powered equipment.
- To protect clocks, secure or remove pendulums, chimes and weights.
- Keep all currency with you.
- To protect electronic equipment, pack items in the original boxes in which they were purchased.
- Obtain a written appraisal of antique items to verify their value.
- Dispose of all flammables such as cleaning fluids, aerosol cans, fireworks and matches.
- Empty the water from your steam iron.
GET YOUR KIDS INVOLVED!
- Children can help with their room by decorating a moving box with stickers and markers; then they can put into their box their own special items. Now they can watch their box move to their new room!
- If your move is a great distance away take roller blades or skate board for children to use at rest stops. This uses some of that energy!
- Small children enjoy a small box sealed up containing unusual items. Cut a hole in the side of the box large enough for their hand to fit and let them try to figure out the items.